How to Apply
Application deadline: February 1, 2018 (midnight, Central European Time)
For general information on the Admissions please visit here.
On average, the Department accepts about twenty MA and six PhD students per academic year into its striving and highly international community.
1. The application package must include a Research Proposal submitted in a separate document. Its title has to be entered in the relevant section of the application form. For program-specific requirements and guidance about writing a successful the research proposal, visit the website of the program concerned.
2. Language requirements: for the completion of the MA studies at the Department of Medieval Studies all students must have a working knowledge (in other words, the ability to read sources) of at least one source language (a literary and vernacular language from the pre-modern period).
Evidence of existing source language competence at the time of application is not essential, but it is an advantage in the application assessment. In certain cases, the department may require that the applicants take a source language aptitude test during the application procedure. The results of this test are for training needs assessment and information purposes.
3. English proficiency: applicants who meet the admission criteria need to submit a Proof of English Proficiency (see General information) in their application package. No further English language examination is required by the department.
4. Following the initial evaluation of all the application materials, the selection committee conducts a competitive re-evaluation and invites successful applicants for individual interviews conducted by one or more faculty members of the department either in the selected applicant’s city of residence (if feasible) or on Skype.
- Please note that the requirements of the Hungarian accreditation may be different from those of the US. For the criteria see the “Requirements of the Hungarian accreditation” section below.
- Parallel Enrollment at CEU NY/KEE and another Higher Education Institution (Section 4.6. of Admissions Policy and Procedures): Candidates who have been accepted to a CEU NY/KEE degree program cannot simultaneously be enrolled in a degree program at another higher education institution, unless they request an official leave of absence for the duration of their studies at CEU NY/KEE. Accepted candidates need to indicate their enrolment status at other institutions in the matriculation form, and present official documentation regarding the leave of absence if applicable.
- Regardless of citizenship and place of residence all applicants are eligible to apply for full or partial scholarship. The applications are competitive every year and not all accepted applicants can be offered scholarships. Various levels of funding are distributed among accepted applicants on a merit basis.
Requirements of the Hungarian accreditation
The two-year MA in Comparative History degree is accredited both in Hungary and the US. However, those who wish to obtain a double-accredited degree must adhere to the requirements specified in the Hungarian Higher Education Act. The Act currently stipulates that by the time of their enrollment accepted students must have at least 50 credits in the field of history completed throughout their previous BA or MA courses.
See more here.
Tips for a successful application:
Apply for more than one program offered by the department to increase your chances. If you apply for the PhD program, do consider the one-year MA program in Medieval Studies as a preparatory course leading into the PhD program the following year.
- Applicants interested in practical aspects of their chosen field may consider applying to the Cultural Heritage Studies Program as well.
- Make sure you understand all the admission requirements, should you have questions do not hesitate to contact the Admissions Office (questions on general CEU admissions process) or the departmental staff or faculty (program-specific questions).
- Do not leave application to the last minute. Make sure you have enough time to submit a thoroughly revised, spell-checked and complete application package.
- Do not forget to click the SUBMIT button after you filled in the form!
See information on each program below: