1. The application package must include a Research Proposal/Statement of Purpose. This should be submitted in a separate document and the title has to be entered in the relevant section of the application form. Prospective applicants are invited to consult regarding the direction and feasibility of their proposal with faculty in their chosen field.
For program-specific requirements and guidance for writing a successful proposal, visit the program page:
- MA in Historical Studies (One year)
- MA in Historical Studies (Two year)
- PhD in Late Antique, Medieval and Early Modern Studies
2. All students must indicate on their CV and in their Statement of Purpose their language skills, including level of proficency.
Evidence of existing medieval source language competence at the time of application is not essential, but is an advantage in the application assessment.
3. Applicants who meet the admission criteria need to submit a Proof of English Proficiency. Acceptable tests include TOEFL, IELTS and the Duolingo English Test. The university has general admission requirements, including a writing submission, letters of recommendation and a CV.
4. Following an initial evaluation of all the application materials, the selection committee conducts a competitive re-evaluation and invites successful applicants for individual interviews conducted by one or more departmental faculty members.
On average, Medieval Studies accepts over twenty MA and five PhD students per academic year
Tips for a successful application:
- Apply for more than one program offered by the department to increase your chances. If you apply for the PhD program, also consider the one-year MA program in Historical Studies as a preparatory course leading to PhD acceptance the following year.
- Applicants interested in practical aspects of their chosen field may consider applying to the Cultural Heritage Studies Program as well.
- Make sure you understand all the admission requirements. Should you have questions, do not hesitate to contact the Admissions Office (questions on general CEU admissions process) or departmental staff or faculty (program-specific questions).
- Do not leave your application to the last minute. Make sure you have enough time to submit a thoroughly revised, spell-checked and complete application package.
- Do not forget to click the SUBMIT button after you have filled in the form!
Regardless of citizenship and place of residence, all applicants are eligible to apply for full or partial scholarship.
The department's MA programs are accrediated in the US and Austria. MA degrees from CEU are often the starting point for doctoral work in the US and Canada.
Unibuddy project: Contact and chat with current students and alumni about their CEU experiences. We have our 2-year MA student, Tinatin Mirianashvili, in the team. Feel free to write to her!
For general information on Admissions
Read more about us
Read more about application deadlines